Enjoy the therapeutic and transformational art of paper marbling – right in the comfort of your own home! In response to an increasing demand for virtual lessons, this introductory online lesson lets you get started quickly with the basics of marbling. Designed for the absolute beginner, you will be guided virtually via Zoom as you have fun creating one-of-a-kind patterns! Be mesmerised as you watch fascinating patterns emerge through the process of creating your very own, one-of-a-kind work of art.
• Suitable for families with children 8 years and above
• Fully guided online workshop via Zoom
• No prior art experience required
• Complete art materials kit delivered to your doorstep!
What is Paper Marbling?
Marbling involves floating paints on a surface of thickened liquid and manipulating them to create patterns. Using combs, brushes, sticks and other implements, you move paint drops around to make swirls, floral patterns, organic shapes etc.
Specially prepared paper is then laid on top of the liquid to pick up the paints. Each dip results in a unique, beautiful pattern that transforms into abstract art! The possibilities are endless.
Programme (Online Format)
1. Online lesson via Zoom
2. Total Duration: 110 mins (i.e. 1 hr 50 mins)
3. Step-by-step hands on guided art making process
4. 2 video tutorials
5. 3 ‘live’ demo sessions
6. All materials provided
7. QR code links to marbling resources for further self-practice
By the end of the session, participants should be able to complete 3 pieces of marbled patterns
After the lesson, participants are free to continue exploring on their own to create more pieces. A total of 24 pieces of alum-coated marbling papers is included in the Kit.
What will I learn in this workshop?
• Origins of paper marbling
• How to prepare the marbling medium or size
• How to prepare paper to receive ink
• Techniques for creating basic marbling patterns, such as stone, floral burst, hearts, gel-git, nonpareil, etc
• Troubleshooting common mistakes and problems
Tools & Materials
Price is inclusive of the Artefakts Basic Marbling Kit which will be delivered to you before the class. This starter kit includes the essential marbling ingredients, materials and tools. Please allow about 7 days for delivery.
What’s included in the Artefakts Basic Marbling Kit?
1. Marbling Paints – 9 bottles; each 5ml squeeze bottle contains a premixed colour
2. Ox Gall – Increases viscosity and improve spreading
3. Carrageenan Powder – 1 tablespoon; makes 1 litre of marbling size
4. Bamboo Skewers
5. Pipette – 3ml
6. Marbling Comb – to comb the nonpareil pattern
7. Alum Papers – 24 sheets of A6 papers specially coated with alum on one side
8. Marbling Tray A5 size
The Artefakts Basic Marbling Kit is valued at $42.70. To order additional Kits click here
Order Artefakts Basic Marbling Kit
Important Admin Notes
• The date for the selected session should be at least 10 days ahead from the day of registration. This is to allow for sufficient time for delivery of the art material kit to your home
• A minimum of 4 participants is required to start the class
• If there are less than 4 participants, the class will be rescheduled and you will be informed of the new date
If you are unable to make it, you may postpone the session